Pages

Friday, June 7, 2019

AK Adventure Day 19: Capt Cook Park & Kenai Beach

I decided to make my way toward Seward...for the weekend’s hiking adventure with family...so...although I’d LOVE to just stay at the Ninilchik View campsite...that wasn’t being very AK adventuresome!!

So...I headed north. Stopped off at the Mercantile in Kasilof...many fond memories of shopping there...photo ops and meals at Rocky’s Cafe.

Lunch stop at Veronica’s...the waitstaff are MUCH more personable this year!!  I’d love to go there on the weekend evenings for live music!!

On to Capt Cook State Park...which I had been to once before for a picnic.  It is quite a drive out north west of  Kenai/Nikiski.  At the picnic area there...I chatted with 2 young moms from TX!!...who now live in AK!!...Maybe AK is a popular relocation spot for Texans!!??  They said they and their families love it in AK...and one hint they gave was...just MAKE SURE in the winter time, you go outside every day during the daylight hours!!...then all would be well!! Sound like good advice for any location!!

The camping sites were not that interesting at Capt Cook Park...and the beach area is treacherous—soft, shifting sand flats and very high tides...so...I decided to NOT make that my night’s camping spot.

Back southeast to Kenai.  I found a public beach front parking lot that allows free parking for a maximum of 12 hrs at a time.  PERFECT!!...Although I’d been to the Kenai Beach before...I really had NOT had the opportunity to really immerse myself in the beauty of the HUGE SAND beach!!  I LOVE that beach!!  There is also lots of driftwood...a lovely hike around the point...super high bluffs...more eagles...lupine...rocks...quite peaceful!! I’d imagine as the tourist season progresses...this gem of a “free” beach access parking lot would become VERY PACKED!!...glad I was able to enjoy it early in the season!!










No comments:

Post a Comment